[Samba] Logging user auth with mysql

M. Müller root at lb-bbs1.emd.ni.schule.de
Tue Feb 4 10:17:58 GMT 2003

Hi all,
I would like to log the user acces with something like:
root preexec = echo "INSERT INTO logins (user, host, ip, date, time) VALUES
('%u', '%m', '%I', CURDATE(), CURTIME() );" | /usr/bin/mysql -u root
sambaLogins

Alas this doesn't work, I get nothing logged.
I write this statement to /tmp/logons with:
root preexec = echo "insert into logins (user, host, ip, date, time) values
('%u', '%m', '%I', CURDATE(), CURTIME() );" >> /tmp/logons
In /tmp/logons I see lines saying e.g.:
insert into logins (user, host, ip, date, time) values ('wer', 'kiebitz',
'172.18.14.22', CURDATE(), CURTIME() );

When I cut and paste this as user root, it works.
Has anybody an Idea, what i do wrong? Or an working example?

Thanks,
Malte Mueller