[Samba] deleting symlinks only

Antonio Nikolic antonio.nikolic at ibk-consult-gmbh.de
Tue Feb 4 08:58:21 GMT 2003

hello list,

is it possible to delete a symlinked directory over a samba-share, without deleting
it's content but leaving the link-target as it is and deleting the
symlink only? If I interpret samba's behaviour correctly, on deletion samba does not
recognize the link as a link but as a directory, descends into it and deletes the
content recursively, finally tries to delete the directory which is none
and stops. So all what is left in the end, is an empty directory and a
link pointing to it...

Setting the userpermissions is no solution for us as users have
to have full access to the content. We are using samba 2.2.7a on IRIX.

The symlinked directories are used as libraries, which are being linked
to from different project-directories. If a project is finished, the
link to the libraries must be deleted by the users.

any hint would be helpful,
thx

Antonio Nikolic

eMail:     antonio.nikolic at ibk-consult-gmbh.de
           info at ibk-consult-gmbh.de

Internet:  http://www.ibk-consult.com

IBK Ingenieurconsult für Maschinenbau GmbH
Kornstr. 17-21
30167 Hannover