[Samba] Re: Windows access problems

Dan Perik dan_perik-work at ntm.org.pg
Mon Feb 3 23:40:50 GMT 2003

See below.

On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 23:19, Pierre Lebrun wrote:
> Can you send smb.conf please ?
>
> Pierre
>
> Dan Perik wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I had the pleasure of installing a new Linux(RH8.0)/Samba(2.2.7a) server
> > (as a PDC) at one of our locations this week.  They previously were
> > accessing a shared drive from a Win2k Pro. machine.  The migration did
> > not go very smooth.  Most things have been resolved, but we have some
> > strange issues that are still causing problems, which I was hoping
> > someone out there would have some insight on.
> >
> > 1. A day or two after the server was installed, one of the 98 machines
> > started locking up when opening files, or when left idle for a long
> > period of time.  (I know this could just be an instability of Windows
> > 98, but being that it started just after the new server installation is
> > peculiar).
> >
> > 2. A different 98 machine can't open a particular Access 97 database.
> > It can open other Access 97 files, but on this particular one, it pretty
> > much hangs the machine.  This same Access 97 database can be opened just
> > fine from another machine (a Win 95 machine in particular).  I have
> > veto oplocks files = /*.mbd/*.ldb/*.dbf/*.idx/*.cdx/ (I also included
> > their upper case variants for good measure.) in the smb.conf file to
> > avoid the oplock problems.
> >
> > The credibility of the new server (and Linux/Samba) and myself are not
> > faring well in the minds of these pleasant users, so help would be very
> > much appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Dan

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
# Date: 2003/01/23 10:28:44

# Global parameters
[global]
	client code page = 437
	workgroup = NTMA
	netbios name = NTMA-SERVER
	server string = NTMA Server
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	map to guest = Bad User
	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	time server = Yes
	domain admin group = @smbusers
	add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser -n -g machines -c 'ntmachine' -d
/dev/null -s /bin/false %m$
	logon script = logon.bat
	logon path =
	logon drive = H:
	domain logons = Yes
	os level = 65
	preferred master = Yes
	domain master = Yes
	dns proxy = No
	printer admin = @smbadmins
	create mask = 0770
	directory mask = 02770
	printing = lprng

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	read only = No
	browseable = No

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No

[netlogon]
	comment = for domain logon
	path = /home/samba/netlogon
	write list = @smbadmins
	guest ok = Yes
	browseable = No

[groups]
	comment = Group Directory
	path = /home/samba/groups
	read only = No
	veto oplock files = /*.dbf/*.DBF/*.cdx/*.CDX/*.idx/*.IDX/*.mdb/*.MDB/*.ldb/*.LDB/

[print$]
	comment = Printer drivers
	path = /home/samba/printdrivers
	write list = @smbadmins