[Samba] Re: smb dealing with extended attributes

Chris de Vidal cdevidal at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 3 23:21:34 GMT 2003

--- Eric Chen <echen at ateonix.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know if smb 3.0 supports the network
> file transfer of files with
> extended attributes and retains them? I want to do a
> backup from one server,
> SOURCE, to another server, DEST, and I want the
> extended attributes to be
> intact. I have been doing some research on protocols
> that I can use to do
> this file copy, but I have not had any luck. If
> anyone has any suggestions
> or can direct me to some helpful resources, please
> let me know. I could use
> some help on this matter.

You might have to use star on either end of an SSH
session.  Something like:
star cpvf - /some/share | ssh DEST "star xpvf -
/some/share"
but look up the star syntax.  This might be faster
than a typical Samba file copy.

Or, dump the ACLs into a flat file.  Instructions on
doing this are on acl.bestbits.at.

Good luck,
/dev/idal