[Samba] passwd: Authentication token manipulation error

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sat Feb 1 18:16:36 GMT 2003

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, Keith Fernandez wrote:

> Hi Can anyone tell me what this error is.

Firstly, it's NOT a samba question.

Secondly, it means the password you tried to use is too short. Your RH8
system has a PAM configuration that insists on a password being longer
than a certain number of characters.

I think that if you do:
	grep /etc/passwd mandy
you will find that the account was added, but it now has NO password.
You really DO want to enter a system password, or use Red Hat's method for
locking the Linux system account for mandy.

smbpasswd will add any user who has an entry in the /etc/passwd file.

SMB passwords are independant of the system password.

- John T.