[Samba] Cups and Samba Access Denied

Gary Thomas gary at chez-thomas.org
Wed Dec 31 22:23:30 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 15:15, John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Gary Thomas wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 14:12, John H Terpstra wrote:
> > > Jared,
> > >
> > > I feel with you. I am the author of the book. :)
> >
> > Hi John,
> >
> > I have been suffering from this problem also.  Your response below has
> > helped quite a bit.  By using the "use client driver = yes", I was able
> > to at least create and talk to the printer from Windows/XP.
> >
> > However, this printer is a bit of a stink.  I can't install the drivers
> > locally (on Windows) unless I have the printer connected and that's not
> > really possible (it's in use on my Linux box).  So, I'd like to use the
> > Linux drivers, as set up by 'cupsaddsmb', but Windows always complains
> > that the host (Linux/Samba) does not have the correct drivers installed.
> > ... catch-22 :-(
>
> That's one way to do it. The other is to use an alternative driver that
> does not require the printer to be attached. For example, my HP PhotoSmart
> P1000 requires the printer to be attached all the time. I got sick of the
> and now use the HP DeskJet 940C driver with perfect results.

Any idea how I can determine what driver is compatible?  I'm using an
HP 6110 all-in-one (printer/scanner/fax).  I have asked HP if it's
possible to get/install the drivers without the unit physically
attached, but no response so far.

n.b. it works great on my Linux box, using the CUPS/hpij drivers :-)

--
Gary Thomas <gary at chez-thomas.org>