[Samba] Winbind login: has "DOMAIN+user", wants "user"

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Dec 31 15:49:09 GMT 2003

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Sean Lee wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using RH9 with latest Samba 3.0.x-x
>
> I configured winbind as per
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html#id2935561
> I use the default smb.conf with following (from URL above) added to its
> global section:
>
> winbind separator = +
> idmap uid = 10000-20000
> idmap gid = 10000-20000
> winbind enum users = yes
> winbind enum groups = yes
> use nss_winbind = yes
> template homedir = /home/winnt/%D/%U
> template shell = /bin/bash

Add:

winbind use default domain = Yes

> I cannot login using Active Directory's "username"; instead I must use
> login "DOMAIN+username" at login prompt as recommended at
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2002-June/045313.html, otherwise I
> get the same error as mentioned at this URL.
>
> Why is that? I want to auth SMTP users via winbind so I want to be able
> to use "user" instead of "DOMAIN+user".

If the above change does not work for you let me know.

PS: For this to work you must:
	1. Make the change shown
	2. Stop Samba
	3. Delete your existing /var/lib/samba/*tdb files
		(could be in /var/cache/samba/*tdb or
			/usr/local/samba/var/(tdb)
	4. Restart Samba

Make certain that: getent passwd
shows your accounts without the Domain name portion.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org