[Samba] Access denied, unable to connect to my printer

Neil Aggarwal neil at JAMMConsulting.com
Tue Dec 30 21:59:53 GMT 2003

Hello:

I have a printer set-up and working correctly on my Linux machine
running Fedora Core 1.  It is set up as a local printer called printer.
I set it up thru the graphical printer configuration utility.

I am trying to set it up as a network printer from my Windows XP machine
using Samba.  Here are the lines in my smb.conf file:

[global]
        encrypt passwords = yes
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        server string = Samba Server
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        dns proxy = no
        load printers = yes
        max log size = 50
        security = user
        os level = 20
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

[epson]
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = yes
        public = yes
        printer = printer
        comment = Epson Stylus Color 860

On my windows machine, I was able to add the printer as a network
printer and then
it asked me to locate the driver, which I did.  Everything seemed fine
up until
that point, but when it shows the printer, it shows access denied,
unable to connect.

When I try to print a test page to it, nothing happens and the Windows
box is completely
unhelpful.

There is this line in /var/log/dell5100.log:
lpr: unable to print file: client-error-document-format-not-supported

My Windows mahcine is named dell5100, so they are talking.

Any ideas what this means?

Thanks,
	Neil

--
Neil Aggarwal, JAMM Consulting, (972)612-6056, www.JAMMConsulting.com
FREE! Valuable info on how your business can reduce operating costs by