[Samba] printing problem from Windows 98 - samba 3.0.1

rajesh ghanekar rajesh_ghanekar at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 30 11:16:56 GMT 2003

Hi List,

  (PS: I am not signed to list, please CC a mail to
rajesh_ghanekar at yahoo.com ).

   I am using samba 3.0.1 as a primary domain
controller with LDAP. I am able to do file sharing
very well with user wise restriction. The problem is
with printer.
   I have a HP1200 printer for which i have to do JOB
accounting. All the jobs will be queued through samba.
I have done setup so that the machine (named
"printserver") to which printer is attached doesn't
allow other machines to directly print, it allows only
samba (named "pragatee") machine to print. So all the
workstations will queue their print jobs to samba.
   Now when a workstation joins samba domain, they can
share files. I have added print$ share so workstation
can download adobeps4.drv and related files directly.
But when i configure printer on Win98 workstation and
go to the properties applet of that printer, i get
rundll32 error related to adobeps4.drv. The same thing
works perfectly with Win2k/WinXp clients with
cupsdrvr.dll and stuff.
   Has anyone faced this kind of problem before? This
problem has been listed in threads, but no replies
were given. If anyone wants to see complete error log,
i will mail that. Sorry for such a huge mail. I am
scratching my head for last 2 days. :-(

  Error log is as following :

   <snip>

 smbd/lanman.c:api_reply(3551)
  Doing DosPrintQGetInfo
[2003/12/30 16:41:26, 3]
smbd/lanman.c:api_DosPrintQGetInfo(744)
  api_DosPrintQGetInfo uLevel=51 name=IT
[2003/12/30 16:41:26, 3]
smbd/lanman.c:api_TooSmall(3442)
  Supplied buffer too small in API command
[2003/12/30 16:41:26, 3]
smbd/process.c:process_smb(890)
  Transaction 7 of length 124

   <snip>

smbd/sec_ctx.c:set_sec_ctx(287)
  setting sec ctx (0, 0) - sec_ctx_stack_ndx = 0
[2003/12/30 16:41:27, 3]
smbd/process.c:timeout_processing(1104)
  timeout_processing: End of file from client (client
has disconnected).
[2003/12/30 16:41:27, 3]
smbd/sec_ctx.c:set_sec_ctx(287)
  setting sec ctx (0, 0) - sec_ctx_stack_ndx = 0
[2003/12/30 16:41:27, 2]
smbd/server.c:exit_server(558)
  Closing connections

smb.conf is as follows :

[global]
        workgroup = dom1
        server string = File and Print Server
        netbios name = PRAGATEE
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        load printers = yes
        printing = cups
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        security = user
        log level = 3 passdb:5 auth:10 winbind:2
        lock dir = /var/cache/samba
        wins support = yes
        obey pam restrictions = yes
        encrypt passwords = yes
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
        interfaces = 125.125.0.177/16
        dns proxy = no
        load printers = yes
        printing = cups
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        show add printer wizard = No
        printer admin = @administrator, @root
        use client driver = no
        ldap admin dn = cn=Manager,o=netserv_ldap
        ldap server = localhost
        ldap port = 389
        ldap ssl = no
        ldap suffix = o=netserv_ldap