[Samba] Can domain logon requests handled by Samba Configured as a Member Server.

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Dec 30 02:53:14 GMT 2003

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Yeri Swamy wrote:

> Hi
>
> Windows NT as Backup domain controller can participate in the logon
> process. When a user logs on to a domain, the logon request can be
> handled by any primary or backup domain controller. This spreads the
> logon processing load across the available servers.
>
> Can this be done when we configure Samba as just a Member Server? or
> DoesSamba has to be setup as PDC In order to handle logon requests?

Domain Member servers do NOT run the network logon service. Samba-3 can be
configured as a PDC or as a BDC. Samba-3 can NOT be a BDC to a Windows NT4
PDC. Windows NT4 can NOT be a BDC to a Samba-3 PDC.

Samba-3 can be configured as a BDC to a Samba-3 PDC. For information
please refer to the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf.

A Samba-3 BDC functions in precisely the same way as an NT4 BDC so far as
handling of domain logons is concerned.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra