[Samba] nbp hell

Romeyn Prescott prescor at digirom.potsdam.edu
Tue Dec 30 01:36:30 GMT 2003

Greetings,

I spent the better part of a day tracking down a rather annoying
problem.  I would like someone more knowledgeable than myself to
confirm this diagnosis.

I have a RH 8.0 Linux box with three NICS.  I had been developing it
testing with an XP box.  Everything seemed groovy.

Today I went to put it into "production" and Win98 clients were
having all sorts of problems.

eth2 is the system's "default" interface.  eth1 is used for netatalk,
and eth2 for samba.  I have used the interfaces and nind interfaces
only options in smb.conf.

After more hairpulling, I did a packet capture on a hub with the Win98 client.

It seems that the client does an nbp query.  My server responds, but
the response comes from eth2, not eth0!  Despite the packet's payload
having the correct information (that the server the client seeks is
at the IP address bound to eth0), Win98 decides that the server is at
the IP address associated with the packet informing it of such.

I am told that this is a violation of the smb protocol.

Can anyone suggest a fix?  Should I just relegate samba to the
server's "default" interface and not worry about this anymore?

Cheers,
...ROMeyn