[Samba] Re: Transfering Machine Accounts / MACHINE.SID

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Dec 29 18:38:01 GMT 2003

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Craig White wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 08:08, Sharp, Clint wrote:
>
> > Passdb backend = ldapsam:"ldap://master ldap://slave" works just fine
> > for me.  I have the passwd program set to /usr/bin/passwd and Samba
> > updates the Samba related entries in the Master LDAP (with passwd
> > updating the posixAccount related entries).  Took me a while to find the
> > ldapsam:"ldap://master ldap://slave" workaround too, but it's worked
> > flawlessly for me in production since.
> ----
> perhaps this is a problem with only the version of Samba 3 that shipped
> in Red Hat AS 3 but if I put in...
>
>  passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost/ ldap://slave/

You must delimit the two instances with double quotes as follows"

  passdb backend = ldapsam:"ldap://master ldap://slave"

> I end up with the following in /var/log/samba/log.smbd...
>
> [2003/12/29 10:04:58, 0]
> passdb/pdb_interface.c:make_pdb_methods_name(447)
>   No builtin nor plugin backend for ldap found

Correct. It sees the second entry (the one after the space) as a request
for another backend, not as the same backend as the one specified by
ldapsam:ldap://master.

> Official Samba-3 Howto also states that default (meaning undeclared
> value) for ldap ssl = Start_tls but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Page reference please - I need to fix that. The default is:
	ldap ssl =

Yep, that is a blank. This is output from Saturday's CVS tree:

jht at frodo:~/Samba.Org> testparm -s -v | grep ldap
Can't find include file /etc/samba/machine.
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Processing section "[netlogon]"
Processing section "[Profiles]"