[Samba] Open Source W2k Policy Implementation (was Re: Windows2000 policies in a Samba PDC)

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Dec 29 18:26:30 GMT 2003

Clint,

Thanks for responding. As I think through the issues and consider what is
safe to document it is important that I do not overlook material that
ought to be documented. On the other hand, experience has taught me that
anything that goes into print becomes law. For that reason I am reluctant
to point readers at marginal, speculative, or shifting-sand technologies
and methods.

Great intentions are seldom met. Despite my objectives, I have included
more marginal material than I should, but it is hard to draw the line in a
safe place. :)

I am aware of LAM and am documenting it in the Appendix. I have also been
in touch with the author (nice guy) and am confident that there will be a
few refinements in the near term that will benefit users of LAM.

In many areas Open Source software has a technology edge, but what it
offers in technology edge it more than loses through lack of integration.
Microsoft have an undeniable edge in terms of the total solution they
deliver. It is therefore not suprising that we always seem to be playing
catch-up.

I too, am earnestly seeking input from people who have developed smart
ways to implement open source solutions. The best I can contribute is
through documentation. I do not aim to compete with Microsoft, rather to
help Open Source oriented users to get the best mileage they can get. I
also have to be brutally honest and point out where the strong points are
on both sides of the debate.

Samba is great technology for integrating UNIX and Windows networks. It's
file and print services are legendary. Samba can replace MS Windows
solutions. OpenLDAP can provide a great directory for use by Samba. But
these solutions are simply not "the same" as ADS and Win2Kx.

My simple goal in writing the "Samba-3 by Example" book was to document
HOW example network problems could be solved using Samba-3. I thought it
would be easy to do in under 200 pages. So far I am 70% done, and have
already written 280 pages. There is so much more material that I could
cover that it scares me.

Cheers,
John T.