[Samba] Anonymous printing and howto, dumb questions :-)

Peter Ulrich Kruppa kruppa at pukruppa.net
Mon Dec 29 14:33:32 GMT 2003

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Beast wrote:

> In samba howto collection it says :
> Don’t use it if you want to protect your passwords. Better share the printer in
> a way that does not require a password! Printing will only work if you have a working netbios
> name resolution up and running.
>
> How to set "anonymous shared printer" in Win 2000?
> even if I give permision to anyone, Win refuses to gives list.
I guess you want is a standalone printer which serves everyone on
your local network. I use cups and this simple smb.conf

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2003/12/29 08:09:35

# Global parameters
[global]
	netbios name = SMALL
	security = SHARE
	passdb backend = guest
	ldap ssl = no
	hosts allow = 192.168.10.

[hpdj]
	path = /var/spool/samba
	guest ok = Yes
	printable = Yes
	use client driver = Yes

My /var/spool/samba is set to drwxrwxrwt .

For the details - of course - you have to google around, since I
don't know your OS and your printer.

Hope that helps a bit.

Uli.