[Samba] samba PDC & BDC

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Dec 29 07:28:41 GMT 2003

OK - I'm actually functioning but I'm afraid and I want to fill in a
knowledge gap - perhaps a slight gap in the How-To Book or my ability to
soak in its' wisdom.

LDAP up and working on two machines, master & slave and changes made in
master can be found by ldapsearch on slave faster than two up arrows and
a return (gosh, it only took me 10 days but the light bulb has
definitely lit).

Two Linux systems
PDC - Linux2 - also is LDAP master
BDC - Linux1 - also is LDAP slave

smbpasswd -w PASSWORD puts binddn password into secrets.tdb

Machine is added to domain, no problem right, because PDC fields this
whereas BDC handles most of logon chores. What if PDC/LDAP is offline?
Doesn't Machine Add then get added to slave LDAP? How about if user
changes his password? Do I really want the secrets.tdb to have rootdn
PASSWORD? Shouldn't this be a non-rootdn in the BDC's smb.conf with only
sufficient access to see sambaNTPassword & sambaLMPassword with read
only and no write privileges to anything? I.E. PDC down, no password
changes, no new machine accounts.

Craig