[Samba] How to send a domain wide message with smbclient?

Travis L. Bean maillists at biologicaqua.com
Sun Dec 28 08:18:30 GMT 2003

Is there a way to send a message to all users currently logged into a
Samba domain controller?  The reason why I ask is that I have a Samba
3.x.x primary/backup domain controller setup and as soon as the system
monitor detects that the primary domain controller is offline I would
like to execute a command to send a domain wide message telling all
domain users to save their work to the local machine, log off the pdc
and log back in to the bdc.  Is there a way to accomplish this with
smbclient or another open source software solution?

Thanks,

Travis L. Bean
Systems Administrator
Bio-Logic Aqua Technologies