[Samba] SAMBA SERVER first setup

Ramesh Pillai pillairamesh at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 27 10:37:55 GMT 2003

Hi
tryin to setup samba version 2.2.7a on RedHat 9  for the first time . this
is my smb.conf
#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]

        security = domain
        workgroup = user-domain
#       domain logons = yes
        password server = mars.infrasoft.lan  venus.infrasoft.lan
        netbios name = nebulae
#       netbios aliases = omni qa forex support
#       server string = samba %v on (%h)
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 0
        encrypt passwords = yes
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        unix password sync = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
        pam password change = yes
        obey pam restrictions = yes
        password server = 192.168.0.20
        guest ok = yes
        dns proxy = no

==============================
[omni]
        comment = For Omni user only
        guest ok = yes
        writable = yes
        path = /usr/omni
        map archive = yes
        map system = yes
        map hidden = yes

I have successfully add this computer a/c to my domain....
while generating a microsoft-format machine password using smbpasswd
command
smbpasswd -j user-domain -f mars.infrasoft.lan (this my domain controller)
i recvd the following error...

cli_net_auth2: Error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
cli_nt_setup_creds: auth2 challenge failed
modify_trust_password: unable to setup the PDC credentials to machine
MARS.INFRASOFT.LAN. Error was : NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.
2003/12/27 14:02:29 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
password for domain USER-DOMAIN.
Unable to join domain USER-DOMAIN.

I dont know how much the above thing is necessary for using samba...

regds
RamP

Ramesh S Pillai
pillairamesh at hotmail.com