[Samba] Forcing Users to change passwords.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Dec 24 10:55:44 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 00:28, Ross McInnes (Systems) wrote:
> Recently we were audited and as part of that they looked at our systems
> and policies etc and produced a report.
>
> As part of that report they mentioned about forcing users to change thier
> passwords every 90 days or so.

Samba 3.0 allows this, use pdbedit to set the "max password age" to the
number of seconds in 90 days.

pdbedit -P "maximum password age" --value=7776000

> They also mentioned about disabling accounts after 3 login attempts.

There is (slow) work to implement this, I know jra gets very excited
about it every now and then, but it's currently still at patch stage,
see efforts on the samba-technical list archives.

> Im pretty sure both can be done on NT, but id rather stick with rh and
> samba thanks ever so much.
>
> Can samba does these things? even if its a tinkering kind of job?

Samba can do most things, it's just a matter of how much tinkering ;-)

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net