[Samba] Why does simple smb.conf demand password?

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 24 04:44:03 GMT 2003

On further investigation using smbclient it appears that these are the
shares listed.

 Sharename      Type      Comment
---------      ----      -------
data           Disk      data drive
IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba 2.2.8a on linda)
ADMIN$         Disk      IPC Service (Samba 2.2.8a on linda)

I don't know where IPC$ or ADMIN$ comes from but there is nothing in
my smb.conf that would create these.  Also I don't know why Network
Neighborhood shows IPC$ under the Linda share but not data which is in
smb.conf or ADMIN$.

Apparently the Samba newsgroup and mailing list are a single entity so
I'm only going to post to the newsgroup and see if it appears on the
mailing list.

Any ideas?

Larry