[Samba] NT PDC Rejecting Samba name registration

Chris Cameron chris at upnix.com
Tue Dec 23 22:23:21 GMT 2003

Looking for help on how I can convince my NT4 PDC to accept the name
registration of one of my Samba servers.

I have:

- PDC running NT 4 SP6
- Samba 2.2.8a on Solaris 8 Sparc which I am trying to have authenticate
against the PDC. This server is on a separate subnet connected by a VPN.
There is no port blocking in place and all the servers can talk to each
other quite happily

To try to get Samba to use the PDC as a password server, what I've tried
is:

Set the following [global] (there's more than this, this is just what I
figure is relevant):

workgroup = CALGARY
netbios name = devl2
encrypt passwords = true
wins server = 192.168.121.109
domain master = no
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 65
announce as = NT
announce version = 4.0
security = domain
password server = cgydc001

- On the NT machine I've added 'devl2' as a workstation
- I've run 'smbpasswd -j CALGARY -t cgydc001' which succeeded
- Started and restarted smbd and nmbd

It is after all this that I receive the following in my nmbd log:

[2003/12/23 13:14:44, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_nameregister.c:register_name_response(109)
  register_name_response: server at IP 192.168.121.109 rejected our name
registration of DEVL2<00> with error code 6.
[2003/12/23 13:14:44, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_namelistdb.c:standard_fail_register(290)
  standard_fail_register: Failed to register/refresh name DEVL2<00> on
subnet UNICAST_SUBNET

If I try to connect to the server, after a -very- long pause, it prompts
for a username and password.

I've searched Google and found many people with similar problems, but no
solutions. It's obviously something wrong in the way I have the devl2
name setup on the NT server, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Chris

--
Chris Cameron