[Samba] Printers and other stuff

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Dec 22 18:26:26 GMT 2003

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, Joe Cipale wrote:

> Well.. okay. Only printers.
>
> I am still having issues (pains, actually) getting my pritner shares to
> work from either Linux OR Windows 2000. One of the things I see here is
> that the majority of users use CUPS as the printing daemon. From my
> previous Unix experieince, I have gravitated towards BSD as my printing
> daemon.
>
> Could this be the reason I am having trouble> Does Samba work better
> with CUPS as opposed to BSD? Inquiring minds want to know.

Both work. With BSD LPR/LPD you have to specific the if= line to call
smbprint. You also have to configure it. Look inside it.

With CUPS life is in fact simpler, but from the noise on this list one
wonders sometimes. :(

For CUPS:
	Just make sure that you enable application/octet-stream in the
	/etc/cups/mime.* files.

CUPS is transparent. Samba communicates with it via a direct API - IF
samba has been compiled and linked with the cups-devel libraries.
In this case, it does not use or require any interface scripts.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org