[Samba] Problem Restarting Samba3

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Mon Dec 22 15:49:26 GMT 2003

I have Samba 3.0.0 installed on Mandrake 9.2. I also have Samba 2.8.8a
installed per instructions from Mandrake -- but I do NOT start Samba 2.8.8a
automatically. In fact, I don't use it at all. Maybe I should uninstall the Samba
2.8.8a rpm??? I will update to 3.0.1 as soon as an rpm is available from Mandrake.

Anyway, I have a problem when I try to add a new share to my smb.conf file. I
can't make it accessible to my Windows machines unless I reboot the Linux
box. Simple restarting Samba3 doesn't do the trick (I think it's making Samba
2.2.8a START after shutting down Samba 3.0.0).

Is there any trick to adding new shares and making them accessible to Windows
without restarting either Samba3 or the whole server?

And if I have to restart Samba3 -- and if I succeed in making it really
restart -- won't that disconnect Windows users who are already connected to the
server?

Thanks for your advice.
Andy Liebman