[Samba] enabling remote desktop

James Harper JamesH at sbss.com.au
Mon Dec 22 08:30:11 GMT 2003

That is the net result you would have come up with had you followed my
suggestion (after a bit of mucking around :). The relevant policy
description is in c:\windows\inf\system.adm (on my pc at least) and
looks like:

    POLICY      !!TS_DISABLE_CONNECTIONS
    #if version >= 4
    SUPPORTED !!TS_SUPPORTED_WindowsXP
    #endif
    EXPLAIN  !!TS_DISABLE_CONNECTIONS_EXPLAIN
    ACTIONLISTON
    VALUENAME "fDenyTSConnections"    VALUE NUMERIC 1
    END ACTIONLISTON
    ACTIONLISTOFF
    VALUENAME "fDenyTSConnections"    VALUE NUMERIC 0
    END ACTIONLISTOFF
    END POLICY

But I only found it quickly because of the key in your email, google is
indeed a wonderful tool. Have a look around in the file though and
you'll see some other useful keys you can set.

James

Remote
> Desktop Sharing
> will magically be enabled. Behold the power of Google!
>
> James Harper wrote:
> > Me too!!!
> >
> > I've never done this before, but this might be worth a try if
nothing
> > else works:
> >
> > 1. run gpedit.msc on an xp machine and find the policy you want to
> > enable.
> > 2. search for that policy in the .adm files (c:\windows\inf\*.adm)
> > find out the registry setting that should be set. They are just text
> > files.
> > 3. get a machine with the policy set how you want it and export that
> > registry entry to a file in your netlogon share
> > 4. in your startup script, import that file into the registry. Not
sure
> > how to do that 'silently' but there is probably a way.
> > 5. enjoy
> >
> > There may be a problem with persistence though, something else may
> > override your registry entries. If this is true and you also have to
> > reboot for the registry entries to take effect, then it won't work.
> >
> > If you find a better way then please share it as I'd like a tidy
> > solution too.
> >
> > Hth.
> >
> > James

NETLOGON