[Samba] A domain controller for the domain could not be contacted (2.2.3a-12.3 for Debian) -- SOLVED by adding updating to 3 and 'domain logons = Yes' to smb.config

Eduard Witteveen eduard at nergens.org
Fri Dec 19 09:49:52 GMT 2003

John H Terpstra wrote:

>>I've searched on this topic on google, but this led only to other people
>>asking the same question, without any aswers.
>>It would really mean a lot to me to get Samba running in our
>>organisation, but i've already spend a lot of time on this.  So if one
>>could give me some pointers were to start, i would be very thankfull
>>

>First off, I'd recommend you use Samba-3.0.1 or later.

I changed my sources.list to use an backport for my system.
Below are the lines i added:
# samba backport
deb http://www.backports.org/debian stable samba
deb-src http://www.backports.org/debian stable samba

updated my system

nemo:/var/log/samba# smbd -V
Version 3.0.0-Debian

>Second, have you read the Samba-HOWTO-Collection?
>	http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
>
>It might help. This is also available in book form. It is called, "The
>Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide" - It's available from
>Amazon.Com.

After reading this document
(http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf) my eyes
fell on the following part:

<snip>
Note
The above parameters make for a full set of parameters that may define the
server’s mode of operation. The following smb.conf parameters are the
essentials
alone:
netbios name = BELERIAND
workgroup = MIDEARTH
domain logons = Yes
domain master = Yes
security = User
The additional parameters shown in the longer listing above just makes for a
more complete explanation.
</snip>

I added the following line to my /etc/samba/smb.conf and im getting a
login screen for joining the domain. I guess i can figure it out from
here by using the other mails / docs :)
domain logons = Yes

I dont know if installing 3.0 was necessary, but i dont have time to
analyse this problem further at this moment, thanx all

Eduard Witteveen