[Samba] can't connect to shares from win systems

Ted Calouri tedsc5328 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 19 05:04:26 GMT 2003

popup message says" \\localhost is not available. " then goes on to say "you were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the network"

When checking the network neighborhood from my winXP boxes, the linux box shows as "localhost" in the computer name field.  The redhat 9 GUI Samba configuration does not have a variable field for computer name, nor do I find one when manually reviewing the .conf file.

I also tried editing the etc\hosts file on the XP box to associate a name other than "localhost" with the linux boxes IP address and still get the error.  Is this an issue with the computer name and if so, where do I name the linux box?