[Samba] Samba 3.0.x incompatibility with DOS Lan Manager ?

Franta Hanzlik f-hanzlik at volny.cz
Thu Dec 18 20:10:39 GMT 2003

Help !
Norton Commander and Volkov Commander badly shows directory content on network
drives - in adition to really existing files in directory displays also items
from parent directory. When I use refresh command, number of displayed files
from parent directory bring down but some are still displayed, and on second
refresh command are almost all properly displayed only files really existing.
DOS command "dir network_drive:\path" display directory content correctly.
copying directory tree ending with error messages as "General Network Error"
or is incomplete - some directories be missing.

We think some is wrong, because after about 4 days of network operation we
found some data files with unexpected zero length.

It looks like problem in Lan Manager Client for DOS or problem in Samba.
Have any idea about this problem solution??

- We are using Samba 3.0.0 (and now 3.0.1)/Linux 2.4.22-1.2129.nptl/glibc-2.3.2
   (Fedora core 1)) as fileserver for DOS/Windos network.
- DOS PCs are MSDOS 6.22/Lan Manager for DOS client v2.2c/Pentium 1/32MB RAM
   with HDD
- and Windows PCs are W98SE PCs.

- This problem is on RedHat 7.3/Samba 2.2.3a (fresh install) too.
- But with Win98SE network client Norton Commander and Volkov Commander working
   correctly.

Thanks in advance,
Frantisek Hanzlik

== Na Mezi 14A        Linux/Unix, Novell, Internet      Tel: +420-377242272 ==
== 317 00 Plzen        e-mail:f-hanzlik at volny.cz        Fax: +420-377242272 ==
== Czech Republic     http://www.volny.cz/f-hanzlik     GSM: +420-604117319 ==