[Samba] Still having groupmap problems

Robert Rati Robert.Rati at motorola.com
Wed Dec 17 20:00:19 GMT 2003

I have two samba servers on two separate subnets that are comprising a
single domain, and one of the samba servers is also the LDAP server.
I've gotten everything configured except that I can't use the groupmap
command.  When I run:

net groupmap add sid=<SID>-512 ntgroup="Domain Admins"
unixgroup=dom_admin type=domain

I get this error over and over again (and increasing the log level via
smbcontrol doesn't seem to provide any more information):

ldapsam_search_one_group: Problem during the LDAP search: LDAP error:
invalid DN (Invalid DN syntax)

I also see this message every so often in the syslogs of both samba servers:

passdb/pdb_ldap.c:ldapsam_search_one_group(1612)
ldapsam_search_one_group: Problem during the LDAP search: LDAP error:
invalid DN (Invalid DN syntax)ldapsam_search_one_group: Query was:
"ou=Groups","dc=<domain>",
(&(objectClass=sambaGroupMapping)(gidNumber=65534))

Are the samba servers trying to get group mappings from each other?  Is
gidNumber=65534 being used because the group mapping isn't setup?  Can
someone give me any advice on things to try to find the problem with my
group map actions?  Any help would be appreciated.

Rob