[Samba] samba 3.0.1 policies

Alexander Lazarevich alazarev at itg.uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 17 17:34:39 GMT 2003

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Alexander Lazarevich wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We are considering samba 3.0.1 as a replacement for our old-hag Windows
> > NT4.0 Server PDC. However, we do want some policy control, and from the
> > samba 3.0.0 documentation (23.3), it says the only current functional
> > policy is the password expirey. Is this still true in samba 3.0.1?
>
> That's misleading a little.  Storing a policy file (ntconfig.pol) on
> the [netlogon] share has been supported for years.  This is client
> initiated.

If we replace our NT4 PDC with samba 3 PDC, then how do we make a change
to the policy (NTConfig.pol)? If the NT4 PDC is gone, we can't edit it
there. Samba docs talk about editreg tool, but it also says: "do not be
surprised if this feature does not materialize". Has editreg materialized?

This is why I'm thinking we need NT4 BDC around, so that we can edit the
policy, then move that new policy to samba 3 NETLOGON.

Thanks!

Alex