[Samba] can not overwrite files but can delete.

daniel.jarboe at custserv.com daniel.jarboe at custserv.com
Wed Dec 17 12:26:31 GMT 2003

> What I should have mentioned but failed to,  was this is an
> intermitting
> problem (a developers favorite kind I'm sure).  What's worse,
>  and this
> just sounds so so wrong;  doing a 'copy & paste' will produce
> the error
> more often than doing a 'drag and drop'.  Perhaps it is just
> coincidence,  but i get the feeling it is not.  We discovered
> this when
> I had asked the user to demonstrate the problem to me as I
> had not been
> able to recreate it.  He came over and did a copy/paste whereas I was
> dragging and dropping the same files from one window to
> another without
> issue prior to having the user demonstrate the procedure he uses.
>
> 3-6 times out of 10 copy/pasting will throw the error.  (Cannont copy
> file3.bat: Cannot find the specified file.  Make sure you specify the
> correct path and filename.)
>
> 1-2 times out of 10 drag/drop will throw the error.

Is there anything in common with the failures?  The same filenames
failing?  Or a same group of other filenames present in the directory
when a new copy/paste fails?  The only thing I can think of is a
upper/lower-case (if you have w95/98 clients) or filename mangling
problem.  The default mangling method changed for 3, but it should
_reduce_ problems like these if that is indeed the culprit.

Anything unusual in the logs?

~ Daniel

This message is the property of Time Inc. or its affiliates. It may be
legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use
of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or
otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be
viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the
notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.
Thank you.