[Samba] samba linking Linux and OSX -- weird permissions

David Liontooth liontooth at cogweb.net
Wed Dec 17 08:04:53 GMT 2003

Greetings!

Samba works great for mounting OSX shares on Linux, or vice versa.
However, when I mount an OSX share on Linux, I get weird switches in
ownership and permissions. Take these examples from two Linux machines
(one and two), running Debian sid and Samba 3.0.0final-1, mounting a
directory on an OSX 10.3.

First, what the OSX machine shows through an ssh session:

[osx:~/Desktop] liontooth% l
total 352
-rwxr-xr-x  1 liontooth  wheel  13780  9 Dec 22:34 Convert to QuickTime
for Anvil.app
-rw-r--r--  1 liontooth  staff      0 28 Nov 23:04 Three
-rw-r--r--  1 liontooth  staff      0 24 Nov 20:02 One
lrwxr-xr-x  1 liontooth  staff     16 16 Dec 23:14 storage ->
/Volumes/Storage

Second, what the first Linux machine shows on the mounted volume:

root at one:/mnt/osx/Desktop# l
total 18
-rwxr--r--    1 root     root        13780 Dec  9 22:34 Convert to
QuickTime for Anvil.app
-rwxr--r--    1 root     root            0 Nov 28 23:04 Three
-rwxr--r--    1 root     root            0 Nov 24 20:02 One
drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         4096 Dec 16 22:42 storage

This doesn't cause any problems -- the symlink works, for instance.

Third, this is what the second Linux machine shows:

root at two:/mnt/bighoss/Desktop# l
total 1048576
-rwxr-xr-x    1 504      root        13780 Dec  9 22:34 Convert to
QuickTime for Anvil.app
-rw-r--r--    1 504      dialout         0 Nov 28 23:04 Three
-rw-r--r--    1 504      dialout         0 Nov 24 20:02 One
lrwxr-xr-x    1 504      dialout        16 Dec 16 23:14 storage ->
/Volumes/Storage

This is a problem -- the symlink doesn't work. On the machine called
two, there are in fact no users with UID 504 and no user dialout.

While it may be that OSX is messing up, my question is this: Which files
on my Linux machines could be controlling what I see on the OSX system?
Since my two Linux machines give me completely different results, I have
to conclude there are control files on Linux that somehow govern this
behavior.

BTW, I have a different problem going the other way -- mounting a Linux
share on OSX. In that case, the available space on the Linux machine is
set far too low. Let's say I actually have 20GB of free space on the
mounted share; OSX shows 1.4GB is available. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
David