[Samba] NT4 & DOS Users rejected by PAM through winbind.

Lewis Shobbrook lshobbrook at fasttrack.net.au
Wed Dec 17 03:28:42 GMT 2003

Hi All,

I have a member server on debian unstable using 3.0.0.final, member of
2000 AD, in ADS security mode & authenticating through winbind.
XP/2000/2003 clients connect to shares OK, NT4 & DOS fail (suspect 9x
the same not tested).  NOT using NTLM v2.
The logged error is "auth/pampass.c:smb_pam_accountcheck(781)
  smb_pam_accountcheck: PAM: Account Validation Failed - Rejecting User
DOMAIN+user.

winbind log generates  No rid for Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access !?

I can't find any info on this error out there.

Any ideas where to start?

Xmas Cheers,

Lewis Shobbrook