[Samba] samba 3 and WinXP (again)

Darin Bawden dbawden at teamdme.com
Tue Dec 16 19:06:14 GMT 2003

Hello everyone,
I have a redhat 9 server running with Samba 3.0.  It's a bit different than
the previous version, but I'm finally getting used to it.  Here's my biggest
issue:  This is a server for approx. 15 clients, all but one running WinXP.
Previously, we were running 2.2.8 w/ Win2K clients.  In the past, we were
able to log into the local computers, even when we didn't have a network
connection.  We were running all stations with local profiles (even thought
the server is no longer running, I have a copy of the conf file).  Now,
we're running XP with version 3 of Samba.  Now, even though we are all
running local profiles, no one can log in without a network connection.
I've read the smb.conf.5 many, many times.  I've re-written the conf file a
number of times, but nothing I do fixes the problem.
	This is becoming a bigger issue now that I've moved the owner and
programmers over to this new box.  Below you will find my current conf file.
	Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Darin Bawden

********************
[global]
	workgroup = workgroup
	server string = workgroup File Server
	interfaces = eth0, 127.0.0.1/255.0.0.0
	bind interfaces only = Yes
	password server =
	passdb backend = tdbsam
	pam password change = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
	unix password sync = Yes
	log level = 2
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 500
	smb ports = 445 139 137
	name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast host
	time server = Yes
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
	printcap name = cups
	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /home/%u -g 100 -s /bin/false
-M %u
	add machine script = /usr/sbin/adduser -d /dev/null -g 100 -s
/bin/false -M %m$
	logon script = logon.cmd
	logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
	logon drive = z: