[Samba] mounting samba shares on linux with non-ascii dirs

Дмитрий Агафонов aga at rsm.ru
Tue Dec 16 17:49:31 GMT 2003

Hi!

I've just searching the list archives but cannot solve my problem with
mounting samba (v3.0) shares back on linux (RH 8.0 and 9).
Mounting on Win clients works fine and any filenames (including long
names with non-ascii chars and spaces) are perfictly supported and accessed.

Mounting the share back on (even the same) linux box is a complex task.
I use: mount -t smbfs -o guest //samba/share /path
or adding additional options "iocharset=utf8,codepage=utf8" or other.

1. mount command: do it's job, but hangs sometimes (do not return to
shell prompt)...

2. trying to access cirillic directories names: fails, but top-level are
looks normal (not content, but themselfs), subdirs cannot be accessed

3. tying to create cirillic dirs and subdirs: works fine, but only
within mounted share on linux and looks different in linux filesystem or
through Win and cannot be accessed.

I guess some problems with charset handling, but i'm trying to use
unicode anywere.

Any suggestions/help/tips?

--
Dmitry