[Samba] nscd dies

Craig Jackson cjackson at localsurface.com
Mon Dec 15 20:29:16 GMT 2003

Fellow Sambanistas,

Samba using ldapsam is working beautifully. I also have
pam_ldap/nss_ldap working for users and groups. In nsswitch.conf the
attribute is ldap. However, I notice that things can be a little slow
because the ldap server is on another machine. So every lookup results
in a time-consuming network traffic. Hence nscd, to cache those lookups.
However, when I try to start nscd it simply dies with this message in
log:

8381: handle_request: request received (Version = 2)
8381:   GETPWBYUID (0)
8381: Haven't found "0" in password cache!

The system is Debian:Sid.

I realize this is question more for the Debian or pamldap lists but I
written to those with no response. Also I can find very little on this
subject on Google.

Any help appreciated,
Thanks,
Craig Jackson