[Samba] Samba Variables and TCP/IP Throughput

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Mon Dec 15 16:14:42 GMT 2003

Hi,

I am trying to optimize my gigabit network. I have two Intel 1000 MT Gigabit
Server Adapters, which support Jumbo Frames -- as well as a Switch that
supports Jumbo Frames. However, I am observing some strange behavior in my file
transfers from Windows XP to Linux and I am wondering if it has anything to do
with the way the Samba variables are set on my Linux box?

The "strange behavior" is that when I set both NICs to use Jumbo Frames
[MTU=9014 on the Windows side (includes IP headers) , 9000 on the Linux side
(doesn't include the headers], I am getting about half the throughput that I get
when I set both NICs to use the standard MTU of 1514/1500. I see the same
behavior even if I take the switch out of the system and connect the Windows XP and
Linux machines directly to each other (crossover cable not required for
computer-to-computer connection with these NICs -- and by the way all of my cables
are CAT6).

On the Linux side, I am using Samba 3.0.0 on Mandrake Linux 9.2 with all of
Mandrake's current updates -- kernel = 2.4.22-21enterprisemdk. The Linux
machine is a P4-3.06 Ghz with 1 GB of RAM -- running in hyperthreading mode.

I am wondering if any of the Samba socket options settings like tcp_nodelay,
so_sndbuf=8192 or so_rcvbuf=8192 are affecting my throughput -- particularly
when I am using Jumbo Frames? And are there any other Samba settings that might
be interacting in a negative way with my TCP/IP and NIC driver settings that
are causing me to get lower throughput with Jumbo Frames instead of higher
throughput (which is what I am told I should be getting).

Any guidance would be appreciated. I have purchased "The Official Samba 3
HOW-TO and Reference Guide" but it really isn't very helpful when it comes to
understanding how to tune these options and how various socket options settings
interact with other network settings and hardware.

Andy Liebman
Resolute Films
119 Braintree Street, Suite 410
Boston, MA 02134