[Samba] Re: Profile privelege problem

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Mon Dec 15 12:48:48 GMT 2003

> I used the latest and greatest SuSE 9.0 Professional...
> I then installed all the latest patches via YaST.  That
> gives me a kernel of 2.4.21 (-144 in SuSE speak) and
> Samba 2.2.8a
>
> I had the configuration backed up on another box, so I
> used that as the base for Samba 2.2.8a.  I have tried
> chmod, chown of various directories, making profile
> world readable, writeable, executeable, all to no avail.
> have tried commenting out various lines as suggested by
> other posts...also to no avail.
>
> W2K reports it can not find roaming profile, and then
> also reports it can not find a local profile, and signs
> the user (any user) on with a "temp" profile.  All drive
> mappings are available, just no profiles, recent lists, etc...
>
> Samba log is showing:  api_samr_set_userinfo: Unable to
> unmarshall SAMR_SET_Q_USERINFO
>
> bumping the samba log level, verifies that I am going after
> the user profile and I am "dying" because of lack of
> priveleges....yet I can ssh into the box as a user and read
> or touch or execute anything I want !?

Must be something trivial, but whoever wants to help you will
need your smb.conf to see how you set it up. I can suggest
relevant options how I handle the profiles:

[global]
   logon path = \\p90.p1.n.d.d\profiles\%U
   domain logons = Yes
   create mask = 0664
   directory mask = 0775

[profiles]
   path = /local/profiles
   valid users = %U
   read only = No
   inherit permissions = No
   security mask = 0777
   directory security mask = 0777
   browseable = No
   csc policy = disable

My Samba server is a PDC for the domain with wins and all.
It runs SuSE 8.2 (kernel 2.4.20-86) but that shouldn't matter.
The permissions on user profile directories are all "drwx--S--".
All directories belong to individual users, group "users".

If you can't recognize what your problem is, enclose smb.conf
next time.