[Samba] Mapping CIFS/Samba problem

rruegner robowarp at gmx.de
Sat Dec 13 14:54:37 GMT 2003

Hi,
i hope your firewall does not block the needed ports,
ping means only that a network connect is working but you need all smb cifs
ports open
this is usally a big security hole for a firewall, on the other hand you may
setup this for one single client but i wouldnt recommend this.
i would recommend you to use webdav https apache for the samba shares or a
pptd tunnel ( come with windows )
to the server to have more security, also winscp ( ssh copy ) may work for
you, cause in most case ssh is installed as server on the samba nix
machines.
using winscp is the trivial way for working with firewall and ssh port is
usally open or more easy to setup in the firewall for clients.
after all if you want to use smb mapping through the firewall make clear the
needed ports are not blocked;
setup samba to wins server, and tell your client to use the ip of samba
server as winsserver, this should work.
Regards