[Samba] Using Samba to Mount User Shares as Linux Home Dirs?

Shawn Wheatley swheatley22 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 12 14:22:58 GMT 2003

I'm trying to get a linux machine integrated into an
all-Windows network.  Following the instructions of
the
*wonderful* Official Samba-3 HOWTO, I was able to get
the machine to authenticate with the ADS.  I can also
allow domain users to log into the linux machine.

What I would like to do now is have a way for the
users' network share/home directory in the window
environment to be magically available to them on this
linux box.  What seemed to be a pretty straightforward
task has turned out to be very difficult.

In the windows environment, the users have a directory
below //servername/Users (//servername/Users/swheatley
would be my directory).  I have read in previous
postings that mounting subdirectories is not in the
SMB spec and have since resigned myself to having to
share individual user directories.  If anybody knows
of a better way of doing this, I would love to hear
it.

So now I'm looking for a way to:
1) Create a directory on the linux box if one doesn't
exist already (SOLVED:  using pam_mkhomedir)
2) Mount the user's windows directory in a subdir
called "winhome"
3) Make symbolic links to key directories ("My
Documents") in the linux home dir

#2 is the stumper here.  Is there any way, short of
writing my own PAM, to have the user's windows
directory automatically mounted to "winhome" when they
log in?  Mount complains that it does not have
permissions to run & that the user must be root.  I
can't decide what the best parameters in /etc/sudoers
should be to allow for this to happen.  I guess once
that is solved, it should be trivial to add the mount
command to a login script.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shawn