[Samba] Roamin Profile problem / filedate issue

David Schwarz dave at deakin.edu.au
Fri Dec 12 12:42:24 GMT 2003

Guys,

I've identified a problem "I think"

Config:

Samba 2.2.8a on Linux and Solaris
WinXP SP1 and Win2kSP4 workstations

We have a problem here, when logging out and using roaming profiles
on a samba host take significantly longer than logging out when the
profile is stored on a Win2k server.

Looking closely I've discovered the following.

On each logout, numerous files, that have not changed are still copied
up to the server.

Looking more closely, I discovered that some of these files are have
different last modification dates, where the date on the server is 1
second older
than the version on the workstation.

This means, that on logout the files are copied up each time, but due to
some
unknown issue, the date is unable to be set to the correct time.

On next logon, the local file has a later date, so the file is not
copied down,
next logout, the file gets copied back, as the date is still one second
to old.

(Note: not all files are like this, only a subset, with some common
property I have yet to
identify)

I've played with the dos filetime resolution setting, and it seems to
make no difference
to the behavior.

Has anybody else seen this issue, and are there any suggested solutions
I should check out ?

Cheers

Dave...

--
David Schwarz, Desktop - Workgroup Section Leader,
Information Technology Services Division
E-mail:  dave at deakin.edu.au
Website: http://www.deakin.edu.au
Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code
Important Notice: The contents of this email transmission, including any attachments, are intended solely for the named addressee and are confidential; any unauthorised use, reproduction or storage of the contents and any attachments is expressly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please delete it and any attachments from your system immediately and advise the sender by return email or telephone. Deakin University does not warrant that this email and any attachments are error or virus free.