[Samba] Re: Can't access remote server

Kent Wang kwang at kwang.org
Thu Dec 11 19:28:35 GMT 2003

I've run iptables -L and iptables -t nat -L and there are no settings. I've
setup iptables lots of times before so I'm pretty familiar with it.

A few things that are bugging me is that I have a smb entry in my
/etc/rc.d/init.d but no nmbd entry. Has this been merged into one entry? It
doesn't seem like my nmb functionality is actually broken as nmblookup -B
webdev.ic2.org __SAMBA__ runs successfully on the server.

However, this command when run from a remote machine fails:

[kwang at gorgon kwang]$ nmblookup -B webdev.ic2.org __SAMBA__
querying __SAMBA__ on 128.83.222.87
name_query failed to find name __SAMBA__

DIAGNOSIS.txt has been pretty helpful, but I'm stuck on Test 8. I'm not sure
how to "fixup the nmbd installation" but I've managed to do all the other
recommended solutions with no success.

Anyway, thanks for your help so far.

Kent Wang

"Joel Hammer" <joel at hammershome.com> wrote in message
news:20031210020923.GA9011 at mail.hammershome.com...
> How are you so sure there are "no firewall settings." These things tend
> to get turned on my default.
> Walk thru DIAGNOSIS.txt. For example, can you ping the samba server?
> What do you see with, let me recall, iptables -L (?), might be the
command.

> Joel
>
> On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 10:58:48AM -0600, Kent Wang wrote:
> > RedHat 9, samba-2.2.7a-8.9.0. Fresh install. No iptables or any firewall
> > settings.
> >
> > I can access my server fine locally with smbclient, but using smbclient
from
> > a machine located in a network I get this:
> >
> > [kwang at gorgon kwang]$ smbclient //webdev.ic2.org/home
> > added interface ip=24.243.211.67 bcast=24.243.223.255
nmask=255.255.240.0