[Samba] Samba opening too many files.

Fanying Jen fanying at fynet.com
Wed Dec 10 01:53:34 GMT 2003

I have a problem where Samba is leaving too many files open and the system
runs out of file descriptors. I changed the value of "fs.file-max" from
the RedHat 9 default of 209708 to 309708, then 509708 when the problem
happened again. The result is that it creates a DoS on other services and
can have a ripple effect. Question is why Samba is opening soo many files
and what is the real solution to this problem. Just upping the
"fs.file-max" is a bandaid solution. I am looking at configuration issues.

Fanying Jen
Email: fanying at fynet.com

Pgp Key:
http://fanying.fynet.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x6B92EAC5