[Samba] SOLVED Samba 3.0.0, CUPS support - "Unable to open printcap file cups for read!"

Fran Fabrizio fran at cis.uab.edu
Tue Dec 9 23:56:56 GMT 2003

> I have set "Printcap /dev/null" in cupsd.conf and re-started cupsd first
> then smbd. Guess what? "smbclient -L localhost" still lists all my
> printers! And I can still print from my Windows apps. (I can't print
> anymore from OpenOffice, since that one *does* look for a printcap....)

In desperation I tried "printcap = /etc/printcap" even though the HOWTO
recommended "printcap = cups" and Kurt's advice above is that you could
even redirect to /dev/null.  Guess what, it worked.  At least on my
install, it seems to require that you do have a real, live printcap even
for CUPS printing support.  I then added another printer via the redhat
printer config tool, which added it to CUPS.  I restarted smb and the
new printer showed up on my Windows clients.  So, the residual question
is why does it require a real printcap file even under CUPS support?
The docs don't seem to feel that it should.

Now I need to solve the "You do not have sufficient access to your
computer to connect to this printer" problem from the Windows clients.
:-)

Thanks for the help,
Fran