[Samba] authticate linux-clients

Grosswiler Roger roger at gwch.net
Tue Dec 9 07:57:35 GMT 2003

hello list,

still trying hard to get my linux-clients into samba.

- doing 'net join -U root -S server' brings error messages "no suitable
server found" on client - but works on the samba machine and on all
windoze-machines.

- wbinfo -u -g -t works without any problem on the samba machine

- windoze-machines work without any problem, even with the login-script

- so, how can i get my linux-machines in the domain? how can i mount
automatically my user-directories on the clients? but most important: how
can i authenticate my linux-clients against the samba machine? (btw. i use
fedora core 1)

- i tried to authenticate with DOMAIN\user domain\user DOMAIN-user
domain-user..it was always "wrong username or password"

here some more info:

winbind-entries on smb.conf:
 winbind separator = -
        idmap uid = 500-20000
        idmap gid = 500-20000
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind enum groups = yes
        winbind cache time = 10

nsswitch.conf:
passwd:     files winbind
shadow:     files
group:      files winbind

/etc/pam.d/samba:
#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     pam_nologin.so
auth       required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
account    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth

thanks for any help!

Roger