[Samba] unable to ping windows hosts by hostname

doug samba at douglasheld.net
Fri Dec 5 07:28:59 GMT 2003

Hello,

On RedHat 9 with samba-2.2.7a-7.9.0, I am connecting to a windows
network through a cisco VPN connection.

When the vpn is established, I can make smb calls (for example, I can
browse network objects using gnome-nautilus)... and I can explicitly
resolve names; for example:
   wbinfo -N dheld3  (works)
   nmblookup dheld3  (works)

however, a more general lookup fails
   ping dheld3    (does not work!)

I made an addition to smb.conf based on a note I read in the winbindd
man page:

> # by doug; suggested by 'man winbindd'
>                winbind separator = +
>                winbind cache time = 10
>                template shell = /bin/bash
>                template homedir = /home/%D/%U
>                winbind uid = 10000-20000
>                winbind gid = 10000-20000
>                ;security = domain
>                ;password server = *
>

> # workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
>    workgroup = NEUROMEDIA
>
> # server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
>    server string = Doug's RedHat9 Samba Client

also, I set up the WINS section to query the remote network's server:

> # Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
> # WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS Server
> ;   wins support = yes
>
> # added by doug
>   name resolve order = lmhosts wins bcast
>
> # WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
> #       Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both
>    wins server = 10.0.0.191
>
> # WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
> # behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to work there must be
> # at least one  WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
>    wins proxy = yes
>
> # DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
> # via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
> # this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
>    dns proxy = yes

(I know I don't need the DNS proxy part, but I threw that in anyway)

Next, I changed /etc/nsswitch.conf like this:

> #hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
> hosts:      files dns winbind

... and restarted the smb and winbind services.

I thought I should be done by now, but it doesn't work.  Any suggestions?

--Doug