[Samba] samba groups problem

Sergio Pereira sergio at ee.ryerson.ca
Thu Dec 4 19:41:57 GMT 2003

Hi folks,

I'm running samba 3.0.0-2 (binary version) on rh9 with ldapsam as
backend. So, all my groups, users are in my ldap database and the
authentication is working just fine. My problem is with groups, from
windows xp pro client I'm trying to add to a local group 'Power Users'
the global group 'Domain Users' but I can see just the users from my
workstations (winxp pro). Checking others local groups like
'Administrators' I can see local users as Administrator and a
'?'+'SID'+512 (for example:
?S-1-5-21-3774164490-1836102861-1491414457-512) and nothing else.

I've tried to add users to global group 'Domain Admins' but when logged
on any workstation the rights doesn't work either. Again, I can add
users (dom\user) with no problem but I can't do the same thing with
global groups.
Any idea on this??

here's my smb.conf
---xxx---
[global]
        workgroup = DOM.CA
        netbios name = PDC
        server string = SAMBA-LDAP
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://ldap.dom.ca
        passwd program = /usr/bin/smbpasswd %u
        passwd chat = *New*SMB*password:* %n\n *Retype*new*SMB*password*
%n\n
        log level = 5 ; remember to lower the log level in real life :-)
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 0
        add user script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd.pl -w %u
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 64
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes