[Samba] SAMBA Groups and Permissions

Michael Gasch gasch at eva.mpg.de
Thu Dec 4 11:21:38 GMT 2003

hi,

sorry, if i was too unprecise...

of course i'm working with acl's - otherwise i could hardly define those
fine granulated rules

this is, what getfacls on /home/board gives:

~# getfacl /home/board

# file: home/board
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
group::r-x
group:kids:r-x
mask::r-x
other::---
default:user::rwx
default:group::r-x
default:group:kids:r-x
default:mask::r-x
default:other::---

for some reasons, i don't want to work with "valid users" parameter,
especially while working with scripts
so this solution doesn't meet my expectations (as i already mentioned)

the problem is on the samba-side
on unix-side the user "test_user" has access on /home/board, cause he's
in group "kids", too

but samba just recognised group "users" for "test_user" because
sambaPrimaryGroupSID maps to -> "users"
so samba establishes a connection as user "testuser" / group "users",
which fails because of my restrictive acl :/

so: is "valid users" my only chance?

no way of adding more GroupSIDs for samba-users in LDAP, that samba
recognises, that user "test_user" is in more than one group ?

i mean: unix-side sees this...

~# id test_user
uid=596(test_user) gid=500(users) groups=500(users),522(kids)

thx for your help!!!

greez