[Samba] SAMBA and FreeRadius

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Dec 4 01:38:23 GMT 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 06:19:23PM -0500, Tom Ryan wrote:
> As freeradius supports PAM for authentication, this is trivial.
>
> Simply configure freeradius to use pam (see config files for freeradius)
> and then set your pam config for radius to use smb (via winbind) for
> authentication.
>
> Tom
>
> On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 bdehn at oreillyauto.com wrote:
>
> > I need to use CHAP on my NAS. Is it possible to authenticate FreeRadius
> > against SAMBA 3.x?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help!

But that would not be CHAP.  I have written a tool called ntlm_auth to
allow arbitary external programs to use NTLM authentication.

FreeRadius just needs to be told how to use it.  I have told pppd how
to use ntlm_auth, see my paper at
http://hawkerc.net/staff/abartlet/comp3700 for the patch (which should serve as a good example).

Andrew Bartlett