[Samba] RH 9, Samba 2.2.8 and Mac OS X Clients

Philip Edelbrock phil at edgedesign.us
Wed Dec 3 21:58:11 GMT 2003

That could be true.  If you veto 'dot' files in smb.conf, then you would
get strange permission errors from OS-X clients.  OS-X wants to put
._filename files (AppleDouble versions of the resource forks) and
.DS_Store files (containing some file metadata like Finder comments) on
the server.

If you want to preserve resource forks to other Macs while using
Netatalk on the same server, take a look at Baltra (a patch for
Netatalk).  There is also some configuration and related info there for
Samba+Netatalk+Baltra:

http://www.baltra.org/

Also, I would suggest using Samba 3.x as the SMB service for OS-X.  It
solves some problems with filenames (unicode) and a few other oddities
(Apple has used the Samba 3.0 base since at least Samba 3.0-alpha21 as
the SMB service under OS-X and seemed to have used it for
development/debugging of the SMB client in Darwin).

Good luck!

Phil