[Samba] can delete files but not overwrite

Greg Whynott greg at calibredigital.com
Wed Dec 3 18:50:44 GMT 2003

Hello-

I have users complaining since we deployed samba 3.0.0 that they can not
overwrite existing files.  I'm not sure if it was the change to 3.0
which is the problem as other chages also happened during this migration
(security=DOMAIN from security=SHARE,  XFS file system,  new kernel).

The clients can delete, rename, and move the file,  but they can not
update it.  All users are in a common primary unix group and the file
has its group bits set to this group.

Any idea what I might want to look at to resolve this?

linux system running rh9, samba3, kernel 2.4.21-xfs.  Here is the
smb.conf contents.

thanks again folks!

greg

[global]
        workgroup = SPINCYCLE
        netbios aliases = AXIS
        server string = AXIS FS
        security = DOMAIN
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        password server = ZEN
        pam password change = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
        unix password sync = Yes
        log file = /opt/samba/log/%m.log
        max log size = 1000
        os level = 23